Trinity Museum

Dublin 2

The Museum at Trinity College was designed by the firm of Deane and Woodward in 1852 and is undoubtedly one of their
masterpieces. While lacking the rich colouring of many Victorian buildings, the virtuoso carving in Portland stone of the
capitals, pilasters, stringcourses and the panels between the eaves brackets is exceptional and reputedly the work of the
O’Shea brothers. For most of the twentieth century this detail has however been obscured by thick black soiling. Paul
Arnold Architects were first engaged to study the different options for cleaning and conservation of the stonework and are
currently overseeing the cleaning and conservation of the east and north elevations of the museum while the remaining
elevations will be carried out under subsequent phases.